Ask a Urologist   »  

How to stop bedwetting of a 13 year old child?

My 13 year old son still frequently bedwets. The urine always has an extremely pungent odor. It knocks me over when I open his door in the morning. He's been tested for diabetes and infection in the past, both negative. I'm just wondering if there is anything that can be done.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

At this stage we need to rule out any anatomical abnormality in the Urinary system with the help of Intravenous pyelogram / Ultrasound Kidney ureter and bladder? Is this done? If everything is Ok then we can label the child as XXXXXXX sleeper.

There are certain medicines to relax bladder at night. Ditropan can prescribed by the doctor. You may ask for it.

The odor is as result of the chemicals in it. First we should rule out common reasons other than the infection like Phenyl ketones, certain amino acids like isoleucine etc. Do you change the bed linen immediately the next day? Do this and check if changes. Bacterial colonies on the linen can produce this odor. Concentrated urine can also cause this odor.

Let me know if I can address anything further.