How to start weaning at 6 months?

General Surgeon
Hi, My son will turn 6 months in few days...i wud like to know about weaning.also wud like to confirm whether salt and sugar shud b added to his food .i have read on various websites that salt and sugar are not required in baby's food until their first birthday..can i add ghee while making daal and rice khichdi for my baby as recommended by my pediatrician .... is cows milk recommended before one year. Since many people have told me it is safe to give cows milk before 1 year in small quantity but various websites say it should not be given at all before first birthday... Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Salt, ghee and sugar can be used Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXXXX Being a Parent myself and also Pediatric Surgeon i understand your dilemma in following a normal routine for weaning food. There are many things available on the Internet and every Pediatrician has his or her own advise. It's always better to use the weaning diet according to your food culture. Here are few recommendations 1. Pinch of salt and sugar can be definitely added . It increases the palatability of the food and is more acceptable to infants 2. Cows milk mixed with very soft rice and pinch of sugar and ghee added can be used 3. Rice water 4. Dhal water with pinch of salt added 5. Smashed banana pulp with cow milk added 6. Wheat porridge 7. Boiled egg white at 7 to 8 month of age 8. Rice kichdi Salt, sugar and ghee can be safely used even before 1 year of age. Weaning the child off breast milk is like trial and error and changing the menu and giving what the baby likes. Enjoy your motherhood Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon