How to resolve problem of autistic child who masturbates frequently?
User rating for this question
My grandson, who has autism, masturbates and his learning center wants to have him removed. Is there any medicine that he can take to stop this. He is nonverbal.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: He needs behavioral therapy & mirtazapine Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Children with autism (teens and children) do not have the notion of 'private' or 'public' and that some behaviors are done only in 'private'. If your grandson is showing a tendency to masturbate in public/school he has to be told that this is a behavior which takes place in private (at home). At home he needs to have his private place (bedroom) where he needs to be redirected. If this behavior becomes a disturbing trend then I suggest to talk to a psychiatrist for further management. Pharmacological therapy (mirtazapine) is available for the treatment of this problem and has to be taken under medical supervision. Write to us for further queries.
People also viewed
- Drugs/medication for pituitary cyst
- What does carotid test being 70 mean
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and chest
- Is it normal to have blood in discharge after tvh
- Drugs/medication for thyrotoxicosis
- Drugs/medication for behcet’s disease
- Drugs/medication for cancerous tumors
- What does constant pulsing sensation in stomach with bloating mean
- Autistic child is having frequent cold
- Drugs/medication for cognitive impairment
- Are round non itchy dry patches on hip eczema
- How to resolve erectile dysfunction problem
- How to treat head pain in an autistic child
- How to resolve bavasir problem
- How to resolve problem of autistic child who masturbates frequently