How to resolve problem of autistic child who masturbates frequently?
User rating for this question
My grandson, who has autism, masturbates and his learning center wants to have him removed. Is there any medicine that he can take to stop this. He is nonverbal.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: He needs behavioral therapy & mirtazapine Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Children with autism (teens and children) do not have the notion of 'private' or 'public' and that some behaviors are done only in 'private'. If your grandson is showing a tendency to masturbate in public/school he has to be told that this is a behavior which takes place in private (at home). At home he needs to have his private place (bedroom) where he needs to be redirected. If this behavior becomes a disturbing trend then I suggest to talk to a psychiatrist for further management. Pharmacological therapy (mirtazapine) is available for the treatment of this problem and has to be taken under medical supervision. Write to us for further queries.
People also viewed
- When do i know when i start my period
- Drugs/medication for allergic syndrome
- Drugs/medication for saddle paresthesia
- Which are better pads or tampons
- Drugs/medication for chloracne
- When am i going to start my period
- Autistic child is having frequent cold
- Drugs/medication for anorectal injury
- How to resolve erectile dysfunction problem
- Drugs/medication for convulsive disorder
- How to treat head pain in an autistic child
- How to resolve bavasir problem
- Does sex hurt the first time around
- What if i am lesbian
- How to resolve problem of autistic child who masturbates frequently