How to remove clots inside the uterus ?

I am 33 years old & have 2 children. Both by C-section. After my oldest daughter was born I hemeraged and ended up in the ER. I started my period when I was 10 and had heavy miserable periods that would sometimes last for weeks on end. I also had a mirena IUD in for 4 years and had to have it surgecally removed after it broke through the lining of my uterus and was floating in my stomach in February 2010.I had an ablation done last September 2010 and have experienced some spotting or light periods since. In February I started having a severe pain in my left side that I figured was a cyst. I've had them before and they usually go away on their own. The pain would come and go, but started to become more frequent and severe. I went to my doctor and had an ultra sound. It showed clotting inside my uterus and a 3 inch cyst on my left ovary. He is doing surgery and a D&C on Wed. to take out the cyst. My question is: Is the D&C going to take care of the clotting or is a temporary fix?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The clots inside the uterus will be removed by D&C. By this procedure, all the clots that are present in your uterus now will get removed for once.Ideally there should not have been any clots after you have had an ablation in sept, 2010.
D&C does not prevent the formation of any further clots. To prevent the clot formation- a permanent treatment, its main cause that is, defective or overgrown endometrium will have to be removed.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: How to remove clots inside the uterus ? 1 hour later
Is removing the defective or overgrown edometrium something standard that would be done while I am in surgery? Or is it something that I would have to go back in for at a different time? This will be the 3rd time I've been in for a procedure in a year and half and I would really like to not have to go back in.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
If you are having just a minimal bleeding during your periods then you might not even need to do anything as the blood might not get collected there again. If it happens again, then a repeat endometrial ablation might be needed.
All these are minor OPD procedures. so, you should not actually be afraid of these.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Wish you an early recovery.