How to remove a non-obstructive calculi in the kidney?

Infertility Specialist
Question
What is the best way to remove a11-mm nonobstructive calculuc in the lower pole in right kidney.
YOUR USER SELECTED HAD NOTHING THAT PERTAINS TO KIDNEY STONES.REALLY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO CHOOSE
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

11mm non obstructive calculi is a very small kidney stone. Sometimes such small stones get expelled spontaneously on their own. Following is my advice for you:

1)Please drink lot of water. It sometimes helps in spontaneous expulsion of calculi.

2) ESWL) is a method of treatment recommended for you. ESWL involves the use of a lithotriptor machine to deliver externally-applied, focused, high-intensity pulses of ultrasonic energy to cause fragmentation of a stone over a period of around 30–60 minutes.ESWL is currently used in the treatment of uncomplicated stones located in the kidney and upper ureter, provided the aggregate stone burden (stone size and number) is less than 20 millimeters (0.79 in) and the anatomy of the involved kidney is normal. In fact, some 80 – 85% of simple renal calculi can be effectively treated with shock wave lithotripsy.

Please come up with follow ups if any .

Dr. Mahesh

Follow-up: How to remove a non-obstructive calculi in the kidney? 1 hour later
MY DOCTOR WANTS TO DO A URETEROSCOPY AND STENT AS HE SAYS STONE IS LARGE AT 11- mm.WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS. THANK YOU

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

You say calculi is in lower pole of kidney. Ureter Stenting would benefit maximum if stone was in ureter and not coming out. As I mentioned ESWL is a better modality. But is not available evrywhere and skilled operators are needed. Hence if ESWL is not available next option would uretrodcopy and stenting.
All the best for your treatment.

Let me know if there are any more queries. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh

Follow-up: How to remove a non-obstructive calculi in the kidney? 15 hours later
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE STENT FOR KIDNEY STONE IS VERY PAINFUL AFTER URETEROSCOPY. IF SO WHAT IS USUALLY GIVEN FOR PAIN AND HOW LONG MUST THE STENT STAY IN.ALSO CAN ALL OF THE STONE BE REMOVED AT THAT TIME IT IS 11 -MM. THANK YOU

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 24 minutes later

Thanks for reply.

You will be given anesthesia during the ureteroscopy. You wont feel pain. There will be slight pain after the procedure which will also reduce in one day. Stent will be kept till the stone is passed out. 11 mm stone is passed out easily. Ultrasound monitoring will be done to confirm the passage of calculi. Do not worry & be relaxed.

All the best for your ureteroscopy.

Let me know if there are any more queries. Please accept my answer if no more queries

regards,
Dr.Mahesh Koregol.