How to reduce the serum, potassium and BUN levels? Low sodium level

BUN 48.2
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Dilip M Babu 1 hour later
I think you are suffering from chronic kidney disease.
High potassium and low sodium levels are due to kidney disease. To reduce potassium level, you would need to do the following:
•     Consume a low potassium diet
•     The metabolic acidosis would need to be corrected by checking serum bicarbonate level
•     A diuretic needs to be added.
You can take kalicept XXXXXXX thrice daily with monitoring of potassium level.
The low sodium may be due to dilutional hyponatremia can be corrected with fluid restriction and diuretics.
I would suggest that you consult your nephrologist who can prescribe appropriate therapy as suggested in the above points.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries

Dr Dilip
Follow-up: How to reduce the serum, potassium and BUN levels? Low sodium level 43 minutes later
yes i am suffering from kidney disease. i have allready monitor pot. sodi &serium level
diat verry accurate .hence serium level come down 4.75 to 3.20 this date.BUT we wantfor recover kidney( medicine ). or substudie for kalecept
Answered by Dr. Dilip M Babu 2 days later

I apologize for the delay to answer your query.

I understand that the kidney disease you are suffering with must be bothering you a lot and you are looking at the ways to improve / recover kidney functions.

Unfortunately many kidney diseases are irreversible and treating the causes that are primarily responsible for specific kidney disease is needed to prevent further damage and loss of kidney functions. The common causes are diabetes, high blood pressure, auto immune disorders, vascular and many other myriad of conditions. Your nephrologist would be able to analyze the probable cause and plan to treat it accordingly.

Following a specific diet sincerely, avoiding any nephrotoxic agents/drugs and treating associated co-morbid conditions is utmost importance to preserve your kidneys from deteriorating.

Metabolic abnormalities are usually associated with kidney dysfunctions. These abnormalities are to be treated in consultation with your nephrologist to avoid any untoward consequences. Kalicept is a potassium lowering agent. K-bind is another alternative that can be used for similar results. You may try it after discussing with your primary nephrologist.

Hope this answers your queries. Please accept the answer if you do not have any further follow ups.