How to reduce swelling after intake of draincleaner?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi have mistakenly taken draincleaner, how do i reduce swelling? Can i reduce osephgus swelling from ice on exterior of neck? I have very sore tongue & mouth,
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please go to ER immediately Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I you have ingested drain cleaner then the best thing to do is to visit the ER immediately with the container of the drain cleaner. You need emergency medical treatment. The composition of drain cleaners can vary and some of them can contain corrosive chemicals. Applying ice on the neck will not help reduce the soreness in mouth, throat and oesophagus. Wishing you good health. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: How to reduce swelling after intake of draincleaner? 1 minute later
Feel not too bad though. Sore but not real bad

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back with an update. Glad to know that the situation is not as bad as I had initially thought. As it is unclear about the quantity and composition of drain cleaner ingested, a precautionary visit to your doctor may help. If you are alert and not having vomiting, drinking water or milk is advisable. Please avoid drinking lemon juice, as this may cause more severe burning in your oesophagus. Wishing you good health. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek