How to reduce sugar intake in toddlers?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello! We have just realized just how much sugar we have been giving our 3 year old daughter- aroung 100g/day (juice and whole fruit popsicles), and was wanting some advice on cutting her sugar intake and some healthy sugar options. Thank you very much!
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Restrict to 75 grams Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX For your kid you need approximately 1500 calories per day. Institute of Medicine, or IOM, recommends consuming no more than 25 percent of your total calorie intake from added sugars. This means when following a 1,500-calorie diet, limit your added sugar intake to 300 calories. This is equivalent to 75 grams of added sugars daily, since sugar is a type of carbohydrate and provides 4 calories per gram. My advice is as follows: - Avoid giving the kid any sugary treat like cakes, chocolates, sweetened beverages, etc. You can usually reduce the sugar content by one-forth without affecting the recipe. - Try giving complex carbohydrates like starch, oats, sweet vegetables and fruits instead of chocolates and sweetened beverages. - Include various types of food items in the meals. - Do not give-in to the demands of sugary foods by the kid. - Chose fiber-rich fruits, vegetables and whole grains. - Give 3 cups of milk a day. Hope I answered your query. Let me know if I could help further Regards Dr Arun