How to reduce risk of developing Gout since it runs in family?

I have a family history of Gout i.e. my father has it and his brother also has it. While the surprising thing is that my father does not smoke or drink and neither eats a lot of non veg but still he suffers from this painful ailment. I would like to know how can i reduce my risk i.e. without compromising on my protein intakes
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 5 hours later
Brief Answer: preventing gout Detailed Answer: Dear Mr XXXXXXX It is quite likely that your farmily members are suffering from deficiency of enzyme needed to excrete uric acid. Since this is a hereditary situation, there is no way to prevent it, including by following dietary restrictions. In case you get gout, then you do need to abide by dietary restrictions. However, some effective medicines have reduced the need of very strict dietary restrictions. Till the time you dont get gout, dont worry about prevention, except for maintaining your weight and avoiding high doses of alcohol. Dr Jadhav