How to reduce pain in lower legs?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have started running to reduce my weight and I do this for half an hour. I have started this just 2 days back and I am feeling a pain in the lower legs. But after taking rest for few hours it goes away and when I run next day, it again comes back. What should I do?? Is it because I am running after a very long time or is it some kind of strain? Also suggest me how I can reduce it?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: muscle strain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The fact that your pain is occuring with movements indicates a muscle strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines - * Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain * Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area * Moist heat application to relax the muscles * Local application of muscle relaxant gel * Analgesic medications as needed I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care

Follow-up: How to reduce pain in lower legs? 4 hours later
Can you tell me any particular muscle relaxant gel and also if it has any side effects?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You can use Flexabenz Gel. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You can use Flexabenz Gel. As it is applied locally, it doesn't causes any significant side effect.

Follow-up: How to reduce pain in lower legs? 12 hours later
So if I apply moist heat to relax the muscles and also apply the above mentioned gel to relax the muscles , then can I continue running everyday ? Or should I wait for a day or two to provide proper rest to the muscles (like running every alternate day) ?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You should take rest for few days. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , Thanks for your query again. Beside moist heat application and applying muscle relaxant gel, you should take rest for few days for proper healing.

Follow-up: How to reduce pain in lower legs? 54 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help. Also I want to acknowledge that the quick replies you provided were very helpful. Regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Appreciate your reviews about this service Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing again, I am glad to know that I could address your concern. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service. Take care Warm Regards