How to reduce high sgpt level ? Cholesterol level is normal

im 33 year male my sgpt level cholesterol level normal. how to control my sgpt level
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

There are many reasons that can cause raised sgpt (Serum SGPT ) levels.

High levels of sgpt usually indicate any injury or inflammation to the liver/muscle damage.

It would be good to know why was Serum SGPT ( liver enzyme) test done. Is it part of routine health check up the doctor advised? Can you give the complete liver profile ( all liver enzymes like Serum Bilirubin, SGOT, Alkaline phosphatase and Total Protein levels) report here?

There are several conditions like hepatitis infection,alcohol abuse,diabetes,obesity,fatty liver and even some drugs that can cause elevated levels.

You need to be clinically evaluated before a diagnosis can be made regarding the cause of the elevated sgpt.

Detailed history,examination,ultrasound,blood tests etc need to be done to come to a diagnosis. Start with diet modification. Plenty of fluids. Bland,less oily less spicy diet. If you are over weight,then lose weight.

I shall wait to know your detailed query with complete lab reports. Sometimes trying to decipher a single lab result is futile without other test reports and clinical examination.

Follow-up: How to reduce high sgpt level ? Cholesterol level is normal 30 hours later
my sgpt level-112.0
a/g ratio-1.2:1

how to contorl sgpt level
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

The reports only show elevated SGPT levels. The rest of the parameters are within normal limits.

This usually means that there is some liver inflammation / injury / infection. Further testing is entailed to determine the exact cause. Consult your physician who may ask you to get a few other tests such as test for hepatitis, ultrasound examination and so on.

In the mean time, dietary and life style modification as mentioned in my previous reply needs to be followed. Restrict alcohol consumption.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health and healthy recovery.