How to reduce hair fall and thinning of hair inspite of having good healthy diet?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
HI Doc, I had lost excessive amount of weight 10 years ago since then I have thinning hair, I thought eventually it would grow back and It seems like it is just getting worse and the shed rate is more than the growth rate.I must admit I haven't been on a good diet either.My TSH is 3 and hemoglobin is 10.4.I am just taking iron pills at this moment.Please help as I have been just applying coconut oil and Clear shampoo on my hair as I am scared of losing more hair since I am planning to get married in 3 months and I am planning to meet my in Laws too soon :-( What should I do or take in order to regrow my hair back?Can my follicles be dead by now? Please help!!
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly send details Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for the hair fall and thinning of hair. It is really quite distressing for a female to have hair fall. I can get few important points in relation to hair fall such as weight reduction as improper diet evident form your low hemoglobin and can make out bit stress in yourself. Other than all these important points I humbly request you to kindly elaborate certain important points so that I can guide you better: - How many hair falls everyday. Do you observe these on your pillows, on floor or in bathroom or during combing. - Do you see any bald areas on the front or side of scalp. You can upload a pictures of your front and side of scalp so that I can analyze the grade of hair loss. - How often you wash your hair and your hair routine. - Do you feel itching as mild/ moderate or severely and urge to itch. - Your occupation and daily routine. - Any history of illness or stress in past 1 year. - Comment on your diet- do you take fruits, vegetables and green leafy. Do not get disheartened there are multiple good solutions for hair growth. Let me once know above important points to guide you best. Hope to hear soon from your side. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: How to reduce hair fall and thinning of hair inspite of having good healthy diet? 22 hours later
Hi, Thank you for replying.Please see below answers as per your request.I also have added pictures of my hair/ scalp.Please help!!! - How many hair falls everyday. Do you observe these on your pillows, on floor or in bathroom or during combing.Answer: ( I would day around 50 or 80)..I see around 2 or 3 on pillow while combing not much hair fall..but I see a lot hair while washing my hair. - Do you see any bald areas on the front or side of scalp. You can upload a pictures of your front and side of scalp so that I can analyze the grade of hair loss.Answer: I see little bald in front and each side of my head.Pictures uploaded.Please check.:-( - How often you wash your hair and your hair routine.Answer: In average 2 times a week. - Do you feel itching as mild/ moderate or severely and urge to itch.Answer: mild Itching..just sometimes..hardly noticeable itch... - Your occupation and daily routine.Answer: Business Analyst, I solve technical issue.Also, I just started Gym from last week. - Any history of illness or stress in past 1 year. Answer: Had Kidney stone 2 years back.Stress is always a part of life. :-( - Comment on your diet- do you take fruits, vegetables and green leafy.Answer: I was vegetarian. Just started eating meat from 2 months. I am trying to do everything possible to grow my hair back.I joined gym and have started drinking lot of liquid.My hair have been like this past 10 years now :-(.I didn't use to care because I thought it would naturally grow back, now I am getting old, all natural process is coming to end and I am not even married yet :-(

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Mutivitamins, diet improvization & minoxidil Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks a lot for posting the important details and pictures so that I can guide you better regarding your problems. To tell you simply let me explain you some medical facts regarding the hair fall. We have a hair cycle divided into three parts: 1. Growing phase (Anagen): more than 85 -90 % of hair are in this phase 2. Senescence phase(Catagen): around less than 10 % of hair are in this phase and is the phase before falling. 3. Falling phase (Telogen ): a very few percentage of hair. We have almost 1 lac hair on our scalp and amongst them few percent of hair are in falling phase and then another 0.1% (around 50-100) of hair can fall everyday. In certain conditions such as poor nutrition or any stressful event or even due to simple stress or weight loss also, some more of the hair may come in falling phase. These extra of the hair which comes in senescence are actually visible as falling hair. The reason for the acute turning of growing hair to telogen hair is due to one or more of above reasons. Nevertheless in hair fall poor diet contribute to increase the hair fall. So you should eat healthiest of diet. For the betterment of diet kindly follow the suggestions below: 1. Eat at least 3-4 different fruits saplings per day. Every fruit is good but you can make a combination of sour with sweet fruits such as oranges, papaya and other of seasonal fruits. 2. Pulses are good source of proteins. So everyday have a small bowel full of mixed pulses. Add green leafy vegetables additionally in the pulses which contains lot of iron and vitamins in it. 3. Sprouts are the best source of fibers, minerals especially iron, vitamins and proteins too. so add it at-least alternate day if you can not make in every-day's part of meal. 4. Over night soaked and peeled almonds will give you good vitamin E which is good for the hair growth. 5. Milk and milk products should be included in every-day's schedule. 6.Do light exercises, reduce your stress as all these have bit impact on skin so also on scalp skin. I recommend you to follow a simple hair regimen as below: - Wash your scalp daily. I guide my patients to wash twice in a single bath. It means when you are washing your scalp apply first time shampoo for washing the hair part only, then rinse it off immediately with water. Reapply the shampoo again immediately, leave it for around 5 minutes, do a good gentle massage by your fingers for around 2 minutes and then wash it off. - Stick to one good shampoo which is suiting your hair, don’t change the shampoos frequently. If you are using any conditioner also then to be used over the strands of hair only and not over the scalp skin. There is no difference of shampoos, the only part is to use good company shampoos such as Laureal or Tresemme shampoo. For the part of treatment: If I were your dermatologist then would have prescribed you tablet containing Acetylcysteine, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium, Zinc, Biotin, Copper as active ingredients. You can take these vitamins in the form of biotin, calicium pantothenate and other vitamin B complexes which are available at your local place. Other than above, an iron supplementation in diet and in tablet form is also helpful. Additionally I would have started with a lotion containing minoxidil which is one of the very good hair vitalizer approved by USFDA. I would have started with 2 % lotion and continued all the treatment for next 3 months to see the visible results. All these things are quite helpful and are not harmful. I again reassure you that your condition is not that bad and by simple regular regimen you will find very good result. Do not take stress as stress itself causes lot of hair fall. Keep yourself motivated and give positive feedback to your own self. I am happy to know that you started gym. Additionally as suggested above – yoga and meditation would be of great help in reducing the stress as well as hair fall. You are not getting old by any means as you are just 28 years!!! Have patience and you will be totally alright. My all best wishes for hair as well future life!!! I hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be glad to help or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: How to reduce hair fall and thinning of hair inspite of having good healthy diet? 8 hours later
Thank you for your wonderful suggestion.Also, I have done some research and found Rogaine (FDA approved) with minoxidil and supplementary tablet called Spring Valley for hair, skin and nails with (Biotin,Antioxidants,horsetail Powder, Collagen, Zinc, Calcium and plenty of other vitamins but doesn't include all the ones you have mentioned above like ;Acetylcysteine, Pantothenate, Selenium). But, I also found Stimulair with all the necessary vitamins pill and comes with shampoo with Minoxidil and conditioner. I am confused, which one of the above 2 options should I choose please help!!

Brief Answer: you can follow any of above- all are good Detailed Answer: Hello young lady, I am really happy that you understood the basic facts related to hair fall and simple solutions related to it. Regarding the part of treatment - you can follow any of above, as all are good option. It is your daily routine along with best diet which will actually provide you the benefit. For minoxidil- you make it sure that you are using strictly one ml of lotion and not on higher side as after few weeks it causes bit dryness. Rest of vitamin tablet can be taken as long as you want. I hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be glad to help or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer. "Best wishes for good hair" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)