How to reduce body fat without losing weight?

Good Morning,

I'm 33, 182cm, 76Kg ... lean frame(hands, legs, shoulders etc) .. but have slight tummy .. waist 34 inch ... busy life style ... without much physical activity.

got body fat % evaluated last month .. the figures are .. Visceral fat 6% .. general fat 25% muscle - 34%

However, lately I've begun to walk/jog ... (mostly walk - 80%) ... 3KM /day (@7kmph). Also, have begun to change food habits - trying to reduce calorie consumption, take more proteins, less carbo, more fruits/veg. And, have stopped eating junk(burgers/samosas/ ...etc)

My question is .. I want to reduce by body fat/tummy ... but, not reduce weight .. in fact, would like to increase increase by 3-4 Kg .. and, build muscles. current not doing any weight training.

So, would just walking.. reduce body fat .. and, particularly tummy area .. without losing muscle from other parts of the body? should i reduce my tummy/fat .. before starting weight training? what are your recommendations?

Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

There is a simple answer to this, include abdominal exercises with aerobic exercises and eat balanced health diet. If possible add running to your walking schedule, it will help your heart as well. You can slowly go on to weight training not necessarily after you reduce tummy.

As you increase your exercises, it will increase your food intake and if its proper then you will gain weight proportionality without putting on belly fat.

Avoid buying any products to lose weight or buy any flimsy exercise instruments.Stick to basic exercise protocol, that is good enough.Only the trick lies in continuing exercise.

Here is a link to website showing basic exercises - WWW.WWWW.WW (I am suggesting this site for information only and not their products.)

A good idea would get a instructor to show you these exercises once, then you can continue doing them at home.

Tips - drink lots of water,have heavy breakfast,moderate lunch and small dinner, reduced intake of tea/coffee, avoid packed food, never have heavy meals, avoid ice creams, don't sleep immediately after meal etc.

Hope this answers your question.Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.