Ask a Dentist   »  

How to prevent swelling and infection post knee replacement surgery ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 58 female who had a knee replacement last August. I did well until February when I had lots of selling and pain. The pain is much worst and I have had to go back to the walker.My most recent blood work shows ESR is 76, CRP is 87. Platelets are slightly elevated to 539 and RDW is 16.3. Surgeon has dismissed my pain. Is this normal?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 51 minutes later
Hello Ludlumza,

I have gone through your blood reports. It suggests an infection somewhere.

Unbearable knee pain and swelling following knee replacement isn't normal. After all the main purpose of surgery is to relieve pain.

The usual causes of knee pain following surgery are implant loosening and infection.

Kindly answer these questions so I could help you better.
- Did you have fever/infection lately.
- What was the reason for undergoing replacement?- Osteoarthritis/Rheumatoid..
- When was the last X-ray done?
- Has the surgical wound healed well?

With respect to your blood reports and symptoms, I think there's an infection around your knee.

Kindly restrict walking till the pain and swelling subsides. Besides apply a crepe bandage over the knee. Get prescribed analgesics.

Please get back to me with these answers and preferably a copy of your X-ray to YYYY@YYYY with sub Attn: Dr Sangeet. I will be available to follow you up.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.