How to prevent skin tanning? What precaution should be taken?

Jul 2012

I am 25. From the recent past, my skin exposing to sun and pollution is getting tanned badly. Its like complete division between inner skin and outer skin (just like a black n white tv :) ).
I am currently wearing full hands shirts, elbow socks some times, using some body lotions to maintain moisture in my skin. Please let me know whether is this the correct way im following or should I have to do something else to make my skin turn to normal. Please let me know better precautionary steps.

Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
Firstly, you need to pick a good sunscreen with an SPF factor of at least 30/50 depending on your skin type. I routinely recommend Bioderma products but Neutrogena's ultrasheer may be equally effective. For best results, remember to keep it on your exposed skin of the face & forearms from XXXXXXX to dusk & apply it well on your skin & it should be ideally applied some 20 mts before stepping out even if on a shady day & reapplied each 3-4 hrs & any time you sweat or wash the regions.
Wearing long sleeved cotton linen clothing & covereing yourself & using a broad-rimmed hat in addition will help or the use of an umbrella while travelling in daylight hours.
Avoid peak noon sunshine hours 11-2 & stay indoors as far as possible.
Tanned regions may be treated with a pigment lightening cream like Bioderma's White Objective or some similar cream. All these creams will ultimately depend on your budget.
For best results, do visit your dermatologist nearest you on the ground for a consultation & better suggestions :) Cheers & wish you a great skin!
Dr Praveen RodriguesMD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore