How to prevent flatulence while coughing due to internal hemorrhoids ?

General Surgeon
i am 57 year woman... i suffoer badly from inner haeomorroids and as a result have embarrasing flatulence when coughing etc....what can i do ? i take a lot of laxitives
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 hours later
Thanks for query

Hemorrhoids are dilated tortous veins located in the lower part of the rectum and the anus.

They become dilated and swollen due to increased pressure within them, usually due to straining at stools ( as a result of constipation),chronic cough and during pregnancy because of the pressure of the enlarged uterus.

Haemorroids can be both external & XXXXXXX

XXXXXXX haemorroids generally present with painless bleeding per rectum .

Internal hemorrhoids are present /located in the inside lining of the rectum and cannot be felt.

They are mostly painless and make their presence known by causing painless bleeding with motion or a bowel movement.

Internal hemorrhoids can prolapse through the anus.

Depending upon the grade i.e.1-3 ,sign & symptoms may differ.

Flatulence is not the common way of presentation in case hemorroids

Flatulence is the expulsion of a mixture of gases through the rectum . The medical terminology for the mixture of gases is flatus.

Flatus is brought to the rectum by the peristaltic movements which also causes feces to descend from the large intestine.

The noises associated with flatulence are caused by the vibration of the anal sphincter, and by the closed buttocks.

So it appear to me a case not of hemorroids ,but most probably indigestion.

So take digestive enzymes like GNC Natural Brand Super Digestive Enzymes.

Avoid foods that may cause gas like beans,vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, onions, artichokes, and asparagus,fruits, such as pears, apples, and peaches,whole grains, such as whole wheat and XXXXXXX
Soft drinks and fruit drinks.
Milk and milk products, such as cheese and ice cream, and packaged foods prepared with lactose, such as bread, cereal, and salad dressing.
Foods containing sorbitol, such as dietetic foods and sugar-free candies and gums.

I hope it will give you more relief.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.
Follow-up: How to prevent flatulence while coughing due to internal hemorrhoids ? 5 hours later
thank you for that...i was increasing XXXXXXX a lot, and because of my age i have increased intake of dairy products together with Calcium tablets and multivitamins...
As i said in the first questionairre, the medication i am on is causing poor digestion and there any harm in taking laxatives on a regular basis ( as this helps the "gas" too. ?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 13 minutes later

Nice to hear from you again.

There is no harm in taking the laxatives on regular basis for constipation, since the medication Dostinex causes constipation as a side effect.

But laxative is not going to solve your flatulence problem.

You can continue with calcium & multivitamin as they are essential.

So some change in food habits may help you in flatulence.

Hope I have answered your question well to satisfaction.

Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.