How to prevent familial gall bladder and pancreatic cancer?

My father, and his brothers have died from gall bladder and pancreatic cancers at an average age of 75. What can I do to prevent these types of familial cancers or at least what tests should I be having I order to detect these types of cancers?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Answered Detailed Answer: Hi Familial cancers usually affect before 50yrs of age. Hence I am not sure you truely have a familial cancer in your family Gallbladder and pancreatic cancers can occur secondary to smoking and alcohol. Gall bladder cancer is also known to occur in neglected symptomatic gall stone disease. Pancreatic cancer usually develops over a long standing pancreatitis (due to alcohol) and rarely with long standing diabeties Hence from the prevention aspect - 1) Donot smoke or take alcohol 2) Have a healthy diet rich in fruits and fresh vegetables 3) You can have a screening ultrasound to look at gall stones and the pancreas to rule out pancreatitis 4) Have an active life with regular exercise 5) Avoid obesity Hope this helps Regards Dr XXXXXXX