How to prevent dust allergy?

I have dust allergy. how to prevent?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing your query to XXXXXXX

The best way to prevent an dust allergy is to avoid the allergen( dust) that causes it. But it is not always practically possible. But it is possible to minimize exposure to dust & include this habits in your daily routine.

One of the biggest causes of allergies are dust mites. Dust mites are microscopic insects that breed in household dust. Allergens such as house dust mites or fungal spores can be hard to spot and can breed in even the cleanest house.

Below are ways that you can limit the amount of mites in your house
• Clean cushions, soft toys, curtains and upholstered furniture regularly, either by washing (at high temperature) or vacuuming.
• Use a vacuum cleaner fitted with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter, because it can remove more dust than ordinary vacuum cleaners.
• Wipe surfaces with a damp, clean cloth, as dry dusting can spread the allergens further.

Concentrate your efforts at controlling dust mites in the areas of your home where you spend the most time, such as the bedroom and living room.

If you have pets in your house than you may find the following tips useful.
• Keep pets outside as much as possible, or limit them to one room, preferably one without carpet.
• Don't allow pets in bedrooms.
• Wash pets at least once a fortnight.
• Groom dogs regularly outside.
If you are visiting a friend or relative with a pet, ask them not to dust or vacuum on the day you are visiting, as this will stir up the allergens into the air.
Taking an antihistamine medicine one hour before entering a pet-inhabited house can help to reduce symptoms.
• Check weather reports for the pollen count and stay indoors when it is high.
• Avoid drying clothes and bedding outside when the pollen count is high.
• Keep doors and windows shut during mid-morning and early evening, when there is most pollen in the air.
• Shower, wash your hair and change your clothes after being outside.

Try to follow this step & you can surely minimize your frequency of dust allergy episodes.
I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further doubts, I will be happy to help you.