How to prevent diabetes?

I have been diaganosed with pre diabetes ( from last 4-5 months , was under medication Gavus/galvusmet for 2-3 months later doctor advised to stop the medication) post stopping medication Fasting Avg - 110 & PP Avg - 112 Pls suggest how can prevent Diabetes type 2
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: impairment in fasting blood sugar Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Pre diabetes is basically impairment in fasting blood sugar. FBI between 100 to 126 mg / dl is prediabetes. FBI more than 126 mg/dl is overt diabetes. Pre-diabetics are prone to develop diabetes in 5 to 7 years. One can prevent or postpone diabetes with the following: - lifestyle modification like exercise. 45 minutes every day for at least 5 days a week. - Diet with complex carbohydrates like whole grains, vegetables, greens and fruits. Low in fat and refined sugars. - metformin which will help reduce the insulin resistance and in many case prevent overt diabetes. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if you have any clarification. Regards.
Follow-up: How to prevent diabetes? 22 minutes later
Do u advice metphormin on pre-diabetic condition My doc didn't adviced any. Suggest
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Metformin is the first line drug Detailed Answer: Hello, Pre diabetes is an impaired fasting glucose state. This is due to high insulin resistance. Metformin helps in reducing the insulin resistance and effective control of blood sugar. So for this reason many of us advice our patients metformin even in the pre diabetic state. Other doctors advice lifestyle modifications and check blood sugar every 3 months. Regards