How to prevent cervical cancer?

Patient had a hysterectomy 7yrs ago but kept her cervix, 2 weeks ago I received news that my pap test was abnormal as well as having tested HPV high risk for 16 and 18. My doctor suggested doing a biopsy which I had done the following week, When the results came in she informed me that she had not been able to obtain any cervical fluid because I have cervical stenosis, and no biopsy of any kind would be able to be done from this point on. I am very upset and worried my mother just passed away from cervical cancer. How am I now suppose to prevent cervical cancer. Would it not be best to remove my cervix I am 56yrs old. Please advice.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. I would suggest that you request a consultation with a gynecologic oncologist. This type of position has extra training in the field of oncology related to gynecologic malignancies. as I am sure you know the HPV virus can contribute to the development of cervical cancer. from the information you have submitted it appears that the biopsy was not optimal. You have a couple of options. One option would be to have a comprehensive biopsy performed by a medical professional who can obtain adequate tissue to determine if there are changes within the cervix that are suspicious for premalignant changes or changes that might place you at risk for development of cervical cancer in the coming years. another option as you have indicated previously is to remove the cervix. This would significantly decrease the risk of subsequent development of cervical cancer. for the reasons listed above I would suggest a consultation again with a gynecologic oncologist. thank you again for sending your question. I can appreciate that you're dealing with a situation that is very stressful. I hope we can help improve your knowledge about the question at hand and help you make informed decisions about following up with your local doctors. Sincerely, Dr. G