How to overcome intrusive thoughts and have a bright life?

Hello, I have struggled with mental health issues my whole life. I believe that my mother suffered from depression, and was not reciprocal in loving myself, or did not know how to do so. I was neglected from my mother and father. We were also very poor, two of my sisters were prostitutes and all of my brothers had been in jail. This life was not for me. I have very low self esteem, and criticize myself constantly. I feel that I am not worthy of success. I have trouble concentrating and completing task. I do not know what happiness is? I have frequent panic attacks and think of only the worst synarios happening in any situation. I have experience erotomania over a public figure. I am afraid to venture out and meet people, so I like to stay home. I was sexually abused by my brothers. I believe that my issues were created through environment. I am very hard on myself, and here myself saying terrible things to myself. I believe that I have intrusive thoughts to which puts me down constantly. I am strong willed and has successfully gotten my masters. I continue to go further. I am currently taking a desyryl 150mg. I have also just went through menopause. I want to have confidence, and enjoy life... any suggestions.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: A spiritual rebirth Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. You have gone through a lot and I can feel your pain and frustration at the distance, I truly do. I am a doctor, and I have reached the highest standards for my career, but let me tell you, the only one that can heal all those wounds is not a medication, no cognitive behavioral therapy, not even ourselves with the strongest will... it is Jesus who came for all of us. He loves you with all his heart and wants you to live a happy, healthy life, full of XXXXXXX (John 10:10). He came to heal all of us who were almost dead, and wounded (Mathew 9: 9-13). He has made me confident that there is no power like His. And all you have to do is open your heart to Him, and he will come unto you, and give you the warmest, most precious hug you have ever experienced. When I was 20 years old, I had dropped out of medical school because of financial issues. I started working to support the finances but started having lots of confusion because I did not know if I could continue on Med School. I was angry and depressed. I cried often in despair. One Sunday morning, when I was washing my car in my garage, two robbers walked in and pointed me with a gun, asking for the car keys. I was in shock and did not put any resistance, but they were rookies, they got nervous and shot me.... I can clearly remember that they were aiming at my chest, but somehow, the bullet ended up in my right leg... they jumped in the car and escaped... I stood there, in shock and looked down just to see a hole on my leg... I fainted. The ambulance came, and I remember all the details. The paramedics were quite perplexed, since I had little or no bleeding... Inside of me, I could hear like the metallic sound of a slot machine over and over again, and I heard truly a voice inside, clearly, saying: "This is an extra chance, do something with it..." After coming out of the hospital, I decided to serve with all my heart in Medicine, but also to get to know the one, Jesus, who saved my life. I can tell you I am a completely different person after getting to know him, in all regards. My marriage is now blessed and my kids are growing up knowing that there is hope.... Yours truly, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN Cardiology