How to make a teen boy to stop masturbating?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Can a parent or a pediatrician do anything to get a teen boy (14yo) to stop masturbating, make him do it less or make it unpleasant to do?
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Parenting

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 40 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. However, at this age this is a natural phenomenon and most of the teenagers indulge in it. With times the frequency does reduce. There is no way of stopping a teenager from masturbating. The teenager needs to be counselled and handled with patience. It becomes difficult for parents to handle this problem as the teenager tends to revolt. It is advisable to consult the pediatrician/child psychologist who shall, in his own way, discuss the issue with the teenager.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case any clarifications are required or you want to share more facts about the case.

RKK

Follow-up: How to make a teen boy to stop masturbating? 2 minutes later
Is there anything a parent can say or do to make the teenager not want to do it as much? Can a doctor tell him to not indulge so much?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later

Thank your for your update.

If you are confident that you can handle the situation then you can always attempt it. However, it is always better to use the "third party approach" to get the results that we expect. As I mentioned above the doctor/pediatrician/child psychologist can certainly handle it better and ask him not to indulge so much.

RKK

Follow-up: How to make a teen boy to stop masturbating? 1 minute later
Thank you. If I have to do it myself, any tips on what I can say to scare him or make him think it's not good to do? Any other tricks? And is it ever appropriate to punish them for it and how?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 28 minutes later

Thank you for the update query.

As I mentioned earlier this situation has to be handled very delicately and with tact. If you scare or punish him then he may revolt and the situation may get out of control. If you want to handle it yourself then you have to sit down with him in a friendly environment and discuss the issue with him rather then command him.

I hope you handle this issue tactfully and not let it go out of control where your teenager revolts against you.

I hope I have clarified the approach.

RKK