How to lose weight when on light exercise regiment and beta blockers?

Hi, I am a 62 yr old male, 226 lb's. I've had 2 surgeries on my lower back and I still have chronic lower back pain and nerve pain in my left foot. Because of this I live a sedentary life (on disability) but I try to ride my recumbent bike for 15 minutes every other day. I'm on Gabapentin for my nerve pain, vicodin for back pain and atenolol for high blood pressure which I've been told is very hard to lose weight on (beta blocker). I track my food intake to under 1800 calories a day, and I still can't lose any weight. The only way I've been able to lose weight recently (5lbs) was because I was sick with a respiratory infection and didn't eat hardly anything. How do you lose weight when your limited to a light exercise regiment and on beta blockers?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: low carb diet may help Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic It can be difficult to lose weight, especially as you mentioned, if physical activity is limited. The beta blockers would also slow down weight loss because they can affect metabolism. There are different types of diets, at present you are using the low calorie/low fat diet. Since this diet is not working well for you , you may want to consider the low carbohydrate diet.This diet can be used in diabetics and non diabetics. In fact it may lower your blood sugar levels. Metformin is not one of the diabetic medications that causes low blood sugar so it can be safely used in the low carbohydrate diet. The low carbohydrate diet is based on the fact that insulin is released in your body when you eat/drink foods with carbohydrates. Insulin not only lowers your blood sugar, it also stops the break down of fat. This is the reason why, when persons reduce their carbohydrate intake and less insulin is released, fat starts to breakdown and weight loss occurs. This diet is associated with faster weight loss and has what is called ' metabolic advantage' over other diets. The low carbohydrate diet would require that you reduce your use of rice/pasta/bread/biscuits/sodas/fruit juices/potatoes. You would use a lot of water daily. It also involves the use of 1 to 2 cups of vegetable a day and 1 to 2 cups of leafy salads with your protein meals (either animal such as eggs/fish/meats or plant protein if you are a vegetarian) No breading on any fried foods. Snack every 2 to 3 hours to prevent hunger . Snacks such as nuts/cheese/eggs/meat There are different sites that can provide information on low carb meals or provide meal plans to help you. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: How to lose weight when on light exercise regiment and beta blockers? 6 hours later
Thanks for the info Doc, however I did try the Adkins Diet about 10 years ago. I lost 10lbs in about 6 weeks, then I hit a wall and I would gain a pound or two then lose a pound or two. Gave up on it about a month later. Then a couple years ago I tried the Nutrisystem prepared meals diet. and the results were almost identical to the Adkins diet. I do appreciate the input Doc, I just wish there was a "Magic Pill" that would help boost your metabolism along with the diet.
Brief Answer: medication is available Detailed Answer: Hi There are medications that can help with weight loss but they have to be prescribed by a doctor. One of the older ones is phentermine. Some of the newer ones are qysmia,belviq. These medications suppress the appetite and in some cases (belviq) , make you feel full. You may want to consider a bariatrician (doctor who specialises in weight loss) , he or she would be best able to prescribe one of these medications Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: How to lose weight when on light exercise regiment and beta blockers? 13 hours later
Thanks again Dr. XXXXXXX very interesting info. I'm not sure but I think back in the 90's my Dr. at the time prescribed Phentermine for me and I remember when I got the prescription filled, the Pharmacist came out from behind the counter and warned me about taking Phentermine while being treated for hypertension. I do remember however having some luck with the drug. I'll have to go to my family Dr. and ask her about qysmia & belviq. Looked up bariatrician Dr.'s, there's a couple in Mich. but several hours away. Thank you very much for this valuable information and I'll try to put it to good use. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: ok Detailed Answer: HI I wish you luck, feel free to contact at any time with any additional queries God bless