How to increase sodium level?
User rating for this question
My sodium level is 123, I am 81 years old. I have taken spironolactone 50 mg. for years. How do I get it up besides getting completely off of it or should I ?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Avoid Diuretics Detailed Answer: Dear Sir. Welcome to XXXXXXX I understand your concern. Your low sodium level (Hyponatremia) is mainly due to spironolactone. It is a diuretic which frequently cause this, since people having hypertension also consumes less salt. I would suggest you to discuss with your doctor regarding switching your ant hypertensive drug from diuretics to other class based on your BP readings , Heart rate ,Kidney functions. I personally avoid using diuretics in old age due to risk of developing hyponatremia which if severe can be symptomatic causing cramps and even altered consciousness. So discuss my opinion with your doctor , I am sure he will agree to this. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me.
Follow-up: How to increase sodium level? 5 hours later
I can't see my Dr. until Monday. Can I eat or drink anything to build up my sodium? How about gatoraid? Would that help?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Extra salt in diet Detailed Answer: Dear Sir. You get your sodium and pottasium repeated today , if still low , consume extra salt in diet. Stop your spironolactone. This would replenish your sodium levels in the body. If you feel symptomatic then you need to visit ER. If you don't have any further query , you may please close the discussion and it.
People also viewed
- Anti tpo decrease 1300
- 13 year old physical exam
- Left ventricular hypertrophy with repolarization abnormality
- Liquid winni v reviews
- How to treat low sodium levels
- Causes of increased sodium levels
- Blood pressure 130 over 63
- How to fix low sodium levels
- How dangerous is a 123 sodium level
- Life expectancy by date of birth
- How sodium sodium works in humen body
- Lactose intolerance heart palpitations
- Blood pressure at 130 and sharp headache
- White count is 13000 endometriosis
- Left sided congestive heart failure pathophysiology