How to increase my height?

iam 25 years old. my height is 147cm. can i get more height. how to get. kindly help me.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

It is hard to say if women can grow after 25 years. Because by then, the epiphyseal closure of long bones would have been completed. The growing part of a bone is called epiphysis and it is located at the end of all long bones.. The shaft of the bone is diaphysis. As years pass the epiphysis grows and fuses with diaphysis and that is the end point of a person's height.

Unfortunately, the epiphyseal closure occurs earlier in females than in males. By the time you reach 22 years, the epiphyseal closure of most of the long bones would have been completed. I am sorry to say that the chances of you getting taller after this age is very minimal.

In women the growth spurt occurs during puberty ie., roughly when they attain menarche (first menstrual cycle). Few years after that the growth is slowed down and reaches a maximum point after which the growth is minimal. We can say that that a woman grows taller for approximately 2 to 3 years after manarche, a slow increase in height for the next two years and after that the height reaches a saturation point.

Several hormones like growth hormone, thyroid hormone and sex hormone contribute to growth. Vitamin D calcium and proper nutrition are also essential for growth. Although growth hormone preparations are available to improve growth in children, they are not indicated for you at this age and taking them will only result in unwanted side effects.

X-Ray of long bones will confirm if your bones have fused. However protein XXXXXXX diet, calcium and vitamin D supplements may be helpful to increase your height by few cm Although few herbal products are claimed to be useful, they may not be helpful if your bones are already fused.

I hope this helps.