How to increase breast milk production?

since two days i am taking lactare capsule but still sufficient milk is not enough for the baby please give me suggesion on this baby is one month
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Have more of fluids and proteins. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Lactare capsules and granules are usually used to increase the lactation. It takes 5-7 days for these to show an effect. Breast milk production is under hormonal control that is prolactin & oxytocin. As you start feeding your baby these hormonal production naturally increases in your body to secrete breast milk. Except hormonal level many other factors also increase milk production like- 1. Feeding on demand means whenever baby cry you start to feed him or her. Feed the baby at least every 3-4 hours. This will keep your hormones active. 2.High protein diet( during lactation you would have to take 15 grams extra protein as compared to pregnancy) 3.Oral intake of plenty of fluids 4. Avoiding contraceptive pills that decrease milk production. Keeping all these points in mind you feed your baby definitely you will get good results. If still milk production is not good you can take Domperidone, metoclopramide(normally these drugs are used to prevent nausea & vomiting but they also increase milk production) after consulting your gynecologist. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: How to increase breast milk production? 7 minutes later
thank u doctor. so it takes 5-7 days. with these capsules can i take metachlopramide
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can take Domperidone or metoclopramide for an earlier effect. These are available over the counter and are taken thrice daily. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards