How to increase breast milk production?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
hello, my wife seems to be having a problem giving enough milk for our 1 month old baby. We tried adding oatmeal, fenugreek, and other herbal fixes but he seems to get hungry towards the end of the day. What should we do? We had to give the baby formula for the past two weeks. Please advise if there is an injection which she can take to increase milk production.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Encourage your wife to keep breasfeeding... Detailed Answer: Hi, The best thing is to encourage your wife to breast feed your baby. The more she breast feed her, the more the milk will be produced. Please bare in mind that milk production is enhanced each time your baby is sucking. There is no need for injection as long as she is having milk. If she does not having milk, then, should discuss with the pediatrician to give baby formula. Furthermore, you are mentioning that your wife is suffering of hypo-thyroid. Checking her hormones levels will help resolve the problems with breastfeeding. I understand your worries, but, you need to have patience and keep breast feeding her each time she is crying. With passing of days, everything will be settled. All the best! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: How to increase breast milk production? 8 hours later
We estimate that the baby is getting half the milk he wants from breastmilk my wife spends all day breastfeeding sometimes the session can go on more than an hour and half on off. She feels that her breast is dry while the baby continues to cry for more... Her family is pushing her to follow a very high calorie diet of cocnut milk and rice and since she is vegetarian she will probably double her weight in a few months is this type of diet really beneficial to her breastfeeding? What do you suggest in addition to the baby suckling for us to do?
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Formula milk to start if still not enough milk.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I suggest to get your baby formula milk, at least once or twice daily, especially at bedtime to make her sleep well. Keep on breastfeeding. The diet is ok to some point, but she also needs to have proteins (apart legumes) like meat (can she eat fish?) or egg (can she eat egg too?). Drinking plenty of water can also help increase milk flow. At the end, if she noticed that her baby is not sucking anything (dry), then, should discuss with your physician/pediatrician to start formula milk. Take care! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: How to increase breast milk production? 7 hours later
Ok so what I understand is that there is no milk producing shot or pill for my wife that will do the job safely? and I should get her hormone levels checked? how do I check horomones for this purpose whats tests are required? anything else she can do?
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Following answers to your queiries.... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. You are mentioning at the medical history of your wife that she is taking pills (levothyroxine) for hypothyroid. I would suggest to check her thyroid and pituitary gland hormones including TSH, T3, T4, ACTH, prolactin levels to further evaluate the balance of such hormones. Based on the results, further therapy might be prescribed. A further consult with OG/endocrinologist is also needed. At the end, your wife should : - eat the appropriate foods - drink more water - not be stressed about why she is not having milk. It is normal to have such problems with breastfeeding within the first month. If she is constistent and not stressed out; then more milk will be produced in the continuing days/months. So, it is also very important that she is emotionally relaxed. Again, if no milk, then, should go for baby formula. All the best Dr.Bardha