How to improve thickness of hair and reduce thinning?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi Doctor! I am 29 year old male with thinning hair and have diffused bald spots. I have started consuming Amla since few months and my hairfall has been reduced considerably. How can I improve thickness of hair and reduce thinning?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Preventive Aspect & need more details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and before opting for Ayurveda Dietary regime, Lifestyle Management & Medicines kindly let me know the following aspects for further observation and conclusions. 1. Were/are you taking any Vitamin A supplements/Diet alongwith current medication [if any], because overdosage of Vitamin A is one of the cause of hair fall-loss. 2.Please mention about your food habits [nutritional problem i.e. low protein calorie restricted diet] along with appetite for consideration of “Digestion” on which Ayurveda medicine usually depends. 3. any history of irritated scalp [i.e. dandruff]?, and which area is affected most: the temples or the top of your scalp? 4. was any opinion of Trichologist seeked for any fungal infection of the scalp? [also androgenic alopecia [for hereditary], alopecia aerata [for bald spots] and telogen effluvium [ for stress related] are common hair thinning conditions at your age], you can also ask for scalp biopsy and related blood tests to find out any other autoimmune disease. 5.preventive aspect is given below: . avoid oily,spicy,fried, and left over food. . avoid too much exposure to heat,dry and windy climate. . avoid combing wet hair,cover your hair while driving bike or travelling to prevent undue exposure to pollutants. . Avoid Stress and have a good sleep, alongwith regular morning walk of 45 minutes. . massage lightly with Mahabhringraj oil at night (before retiring to bed) [to stimulate hair follicles] . After bath make sure you avoid vigorous toweling of hair, let them dry naturally. . Make less choice for synthetic hair oils, hair coloring, bleaching, styling and use of dry blowers. . Avoid excessive exposure to sun, heat, wind, dust, anger, stress, anxiety, . Avoid oily, fried, spicy, hot, fermented and stale food. . Proteins are essential for antibodies production so milk, egg (white), beans, yogurt, soymilk, pumpkin, squash,watermelon,peanuts,almonds, if non-vegetarian (meat) are choices [Because hair are made primarily of protein, this will help thinning hair to be healthier.] . mango, carrots, cantaloupe, egg yolk,apricots,pumpkin,papaya, are ideal . Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla [already taking] is good option. . Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant thus peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach, taro root can be taken. . Soap nut,alongwith shikakai+bhringraj and XXXXXXX acts as natural conditioner. . take multivitamin containing biotin,zinc,iron along with healthy diet. PS. 1. Falling of hair could also be due to under active thyroid, and low hemoglobin, vitamin deficiency, check with necessary examination and investigations. 2. If a close family member has the disease, the risk of developing it is slightly increased . 3. initially we have to start with Immunomodulation [Rasayan Chikitsa] Treatment and later restore to non- surgical hair replacement [if you believe hair loss is psychologically traumatic and some people may have a poorer outcome] Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika