How to improve the height and weight?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
How to gain height and weight :- Hello doctor, My daughter is 20 years, she was under under-nourishment till 15 years of age, as her teeth got removed at the age of 1.8 years. That time she did not like milk too. She started taking milk after 15 years. Now Her height is 5' and weight 39 kgs. Her hb is 9.7 and always complains of weakness and is tired after coming from college. She is fussy about taking food. Can u please guide us what can be done now to improve her height if possible, and weight too.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Height and weight depend on three factors genetic influence( parents), environmental influence( exercise , sleep , illness ,climate etc) and nutrition .
In females puberty if attained early further decreases the height due to early growth spurt and closure of bone ends( epiphysis).
According to the details provided by you your daughter has nutritional deficiency causing anemia( low hb , weakness, fussiness) and low weight and height.
Ideally you should have shown her to a doctor during puberty as its very late now and the chances of growth after 20 years in females is very less . Though many people may tell you that height can increase till 22-23 years it is not true for all and varies from individual to individual . However better late than never , so yes I would say that you should take your daughters health seriously now and make positive changes for the best result.
The best way to do this is to consult an endocrinologist who specializes in treatment of growth disorders.
The doctor will first find out her target height possible by parental heights .
He will correct the deficiencies by prescribing hematinics( for anemia ) calcium and vitamin supplements , protein supplements for increasing height and weight .
He may carry out certain tests to rule out hormone imbalances and if necessary as the last resort prescribe hormonal supplements .
With professional help it's possible that not only your daughter will gain weight and height but overall health.
Apart from this you can make her try the following tips.
1.Eat lots of protein and calcium based food. They are the building blocks of the body and help in getting taller.Milk, dairy products, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables , soy products,nuts etc.
2.drink plenty of water for optimal health.
3.Regular yoga or Exercise is a must.
Play sports such as basketball , swimming,cycling etc and avoid lifting heavy weights.
Its good to go jogging everyday for a while.
4. Sleep in a dark room for 6-8 hrs daily .Our body grows more in dark than light.
5. Always maintain good posture and do stretching exercises daily.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.