How to improve speech in a child?

Hi My baby boy is of 2.5 years old but still he can not speak more than few words like Papa, Tata etc.. I've get him checked with pediatrician and start giving multi vitamin syrup as per prescription but its seems not effective. Can you please suggest what I can do in this case. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: wait & watch,speech therapy Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to the XXXXXXX Nothing to worry! Be patient. He will speak of its own.Does not seems to be abnormal (provided all possible major mile stones are with in normal limits). Its my personal experience that many children do speak at the age of 3 years. Rehabilitative activities like let him live with peer group for better exposure. No sign language to be used. Proper nutrition with supplementation like iron syrup along with multivitamins to added. Speech therapist to be consulted, along with ENT consultation for hearing if he does not speak even after three years of age. Hope the query is answered. Please feel free for further clarification. Thanks,