How to improve retinal health? Suffering from floaters and difficulty with reading and computers. Help?

Is there any treatment in anykind of medicines (including alternatives) to improve retinal health? My eyesight is 6/18 with glasses and i find it increasingly difficult to work on computers/read etc. I also suffer from floaters in the vitreos liquid in both eyes. This significantly increases on very very mild exercise like cycling or even on a jogger.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

As such, there are no supplements or alternative therapy known to improve low vision.

If you insist any doctor will go with Vit A supplements. Instead I simply suggest to consciously choose to eat dark XXXXXXX or brightly colored fruits and vegetables to obtain the most antioxidants, which protect your eyes by reducing damage related to oxidizing agents (free radicals) that can cause age-related eye diseases. Expert recommend to take at least 9 servings per day of the above food.

Smoking and chronic diseases are the next most important factors to keep in mind to improve or conserve vision for long time.

There are several reasons for low vision in children and adults. These include chronic disease like albinism, myopia, retinitis pigmentosa, optic atrophy, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, cataract, age related macular degeneration amongst others. There can be inherited disorders which have a role to conserve vision. However, the exact cause of low vision in your case would be better known to your ophthalmologist who can prescribe appropriate treatment at right time. So please follow up regularly with your doctor as you currently do.

I hope I answered your query. Please accept if you are satisfied with this answer.