How to improve brain power?

Neurologist, Surgical
Dear Doctor,

Good day, i have did many readings on how to improves the brain power. i have tried fish oil which contains omega 3 and 6 ,etc. However it doesn't work out. I tend to be forgetful and not able to retained a certain information for long. I am a healthy man and no medical condition. I would like to esquire on how to improves my brain power and retain as much information as possible. For your information i am working as an auditor in one of the big four audit firms. I seriously need help to improve my brain power to ensure my productivity and be able to think critically. I have run out of idea on how to improve my brain power. Please kindly help me doctor. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 4 hours later

I have gone through your case summary in detail. You have written that you are searching for medications to improve brain power. You have tried omega 3/6 with not much response.

ACTUALLY speaking there are no memory boosters (actual) available. Whatever medicines are available in market are actually neutraceuticals. As a clinician my suggestions are:

1. Check your blood sugar, lipid profile, serum electrolytes, renal function tests & thyroid profile. Any of these derangements may hamper memory

2. If memory changes are more than usual or recent ones, you may go for MRI BRAIN

3. You can try some BRAHMI preparations (ayurvedic) as memory enhancers

4. Few memory pills are available in allopathy also like MEGACHOLIN/MEMPIL which can be taken under clinical guidance

5. Vertai YOGA/ destressing methods also work as brain enhancers

Hope this answers your queries.

Dr. Praveen K Nath XXXXXXX Consultant Neurosurgeon