How to help child lose the fear of vomiting?

General Surgeon
What is the best way to get the fear of vomitting or nausea out of a child's mind? My son vomits a lot once he is in motion on a vehicle (motion sickness, car sickness).
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Syrup Promethazine will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Children have got a very sensitive vestibular apparatus( its situated in the inner ear) and controls the equilibrium of the body. During motion especially car/bus travelling in ghat section or frequent turnings on the road can stimulate the vestibular apparatus and cause vomiting. Its not due to the fear the child is having but basically because of very sensitive apparatus. I would suggest you to give him Syrup Promethazine 5 ml 1 hour prior to starting the journey. It will definitely be useful. Its advisable to try it out for couple of months and followed by each given occasionally and then stopped. Counselling the child wont help to much extent. Suppression of over sensitive apparatus by Promethazine(Phenargan) Syrup is the solution. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern , its a perfectly normal variation. At anytime you need any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me, I will be very glad to be of any help to you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: How to help child lose the fear of vomiting? 5 days later
Dr XXXXXXX Apologies for not providing specifics. The scenario we are facing is slightly different. My son eats breakfast and gets into a XXXXXXX van within a gap of 60 minutes.And then he may vomit. Hence his vomittings or puking is pretty much related to his normal daily activities. He may have adenoid too which has been suggested after looking at x-rays by other child specialists. He is on a homeopathy for almost 2 years to avoid surgery as a cure for the adenoid problem. After being on homeopathy, he is showing considerable improvement, based on the decrease in the frequency of cold and fever that he gets.He gets more of nasal problems (nose blocks due to internal congestion/cold) than throat related pains. In fact he has hardly complained of any kind of pain in the throat or jaw region.
Brief Answer: The symptom could be due to eustachian tube inflam Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Mr XXXXXXX Nose blockage is known to cause inflammation of the middle ear cavity ( nasal part of the throat in connected through a tube with middle ear cavity and is known as eustachian tube). So the vomiting could be related to inflammation of middle ear cavity. Giving him steam inhalation for 15 minutes each session will help in reducing nasal blockage. Make it a regular habit. 2. Avoid exposure to dust: wash his bed sheet and pillow cover in hot water to remove the traces of dust and mites. If the adenoids are very much enlarged and causing repeated documented evidence of infection then surgical removal is advisable. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak