How to get testosterone levels checked?

i am in kolkata india. i want to get my testosterone levels checked. i am 34
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 17 hours later
My apologies for the late reply. I recommend against doing such a test .The problem is going to be the interpretation if it is low since you do not have any symptoms. Symptoms of androgen deficiency are grouped into two-first is loss of libido and erectile dysfunction. The next group includes a host of symptoms like tiredness, weight gain, difficulty concentrating etc which are very vague. People have tried developing an objective scoring system for these symptoms. What has been found is that these scoring systems don't work and the most specific symptoms are the sexual symptoms. There are certain group of patients where we LOOK for androgen deficiency these include the following- HIV associated weight loss, type2 Diabetes ,COPD etc. In these patients we ask for symptoms of androgen deficiency and test.

If you have any of these conditions or any of the above symptoms it may be worthwhile getting a testosterone test done else it may not serve any useful purpose. Even if we do the test and detect a low normal or low testosterone value, I would be reluctant to treat you with testosterone supplementation
Hope that helps

Follow-up: How to get testosterone levels checked? 17 hours later
like i said i am noticing a marked lack of libido since i turned 30. i always had a high sex drive. i am dong quite well financially but my lack of libido is killing all the XXXXXXX in my life as this is the time when i have lot of women in my life.

so i need this looked into. can you refer me to someone in kolkata., i am in hiland park XXXXXXX peerless hospital.
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 5 hours later
If you indeed have a decreased sex drive, you need to get the following tests done.
Testosterone, prolactin, T4 and TSH.
You also need to be tested for diabetes with a fasting glucose and post meal glucose. You can XXXXXXX Dr XXXXXXX a professor at SSKM hospital endocrinology department. I guess you can look up the Internet you should be able to find out a place where he practices nearby your location.