How to get rid of unwanted pregnancy after a medical abortion?

Question
I had medical abortion on oct26, me and my husband had unprotected sex 3-4 times 2 weeks after abortion...on Dec 10, pregnancy test shows a faint test line....blood test and urine tests are positive...can i abort again?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly get a scan to know gestational age. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Usually the pregnancy test will become negative after 6 weeks of the abortion. But in your case as its is already 6 weeks passed after abortion and you also had unprotected intercourse, once again you might be pregnant. Presently it is difficult to ascertain the gestational age, hence it is best to get a scan done to know if there is pregnancy, its location and the period of gestation. Depending on the findings you can be given medical abortion. Medical method of termination is safe up to 9 weeks. Kindly do not take any medication by yourself. Sometimes if there is INCOMPLETE ABORTION then also there can be weak pregnancy test, in that case scan will clear the doubt. So in your case scan pelvis is the most important before planning any further treatment. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: How to get rid of unwanted pregnancy after a medical abortion? 4 minutes later
I had 5 days of proper bleeding and then i felt fine....is there any possibility of improper abortion.?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes there can be chances of retained products. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, though you had normal bleeding, but still there can be chances of retained products. Hence we always advise the patients to get a repeat scan after 2 weeks of abortion. In your case it is better to get a repeat scan done, depending on the scan treatment can be planned. If there is any retained products evacuation can be planned. If the scan is normal (no gestational sac seen) then its better to get serum (blood investigation) beta HCG level checked and depending on the level treatment is decided. Next time you need to think about some contraceptive measure, as repeated medical termination can hamper your future fertility. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!