How to get rid of stuffy nose?

ENT Specialist
Dear Dr.,

I have been having a common problem of stuffy nose, My nose get clogged up when I lay on my back (while sleeping), what could be the problem? In the morning it gets better.

This has been affecting my sleep, as I wake up gasping for breath.
Am I allergic to some thing?

Thank you
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described are the features of Allergic rhinosinusitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. are the common triggers of allergy. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner. Cover your nose and mouth when you are working with air conditioners and avoid smoking.

My advice to you is:
1. To use steroid (such as Momentasone/ Fluticasone) nasal spray once a day, this reduces nasal allergy and itching in the eyes.
2. To use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, this will help in opening of the sinuses and easy clearance of the sinus secretions.
3. To use a mucolytic such as Bromhexine and Ambroxol, this helps in thinning of the tenacious secretions.
4. An antihistaminic such as fexofenadine /cetrizine/loratidine taken will reduce the allergic problems.
5. Drink plenty of warm water and to avoid chilled food or beverages and coffee.
6. Avoid smoking/coffee if any
7. Cover your nose and mouth with a clean cloth (or wear a mask) when exposure to dust or smoke is imminent.
8. Consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: How to get rid of stuffy nose? 19 minutes later
Thank you,

I shall follow some of the advices.

Really detail, I appreciate that.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon