How to get rid of smoking with right medication?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hey Doc,

Please help me how could i get rid of smoking!
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 53 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

It would be my pleasure to assist you to quit smoking.
However we start about it, I would request you to provide me some more details:
1) How long are you taking it?
2) How much?
3) Any other substance?
4) What problems are you facing?
4) Why do you want to quit?
5) Any previous efforts ? Success? Hindrances in success?
6) Anything else you feel will be important
Hope to hear from you soon,
Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: How to get rid of smoking with right medication? 43 minutes later
1) How long are you taking it? - Since last 3 Years
2) How much? - Avg. 6 cigarettes per day
3) Any other substance? - No
4) What problems are you facing? - Less Stamina, Less Energy.
4) Why do you want to quit? - Want to get rid of it.
5) Any previous efforts ? Success? Hindrances in success? - No.
6) Anything else you feel will be important. - I will be getting married soon. so want to quit this ASAP.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 19 hours later
Thanks for all the details and they will be very useful in assisting me in helping you quit smoking.
The first and the most important requirement before staring the procedure to assess the motivation, and you seem to be motivated enough to leave the smoke. So we will skip the motivational interview part.
Now that you are motivated enough to leave the habit, next comes to decide the date when you want to stop the smoke completely. Lets be realistic and ecide the date to be 15th of May 2013. Thats 2 weeks from now. Today onwards I want you to reduce the quantity to 4 in a day for next 4 days. There after 2 in a day fro next 4 days and then 1 in day for next 6 days.
Meanwhile start Varenicline 0.5mg once a day then increase it to 0.5 mg twice a day after 4 days and then 1 mg twice a day for the next 12 weeks. However at healthcare magic we are not supposed to provide you with a prescription and hence we request you to XXXXXXX a psychiatrist in your nearby area who can examine you and then start the above medications so that you don't experience any side-effect of the drug.
Varenicline will help you in getting rid of the smoking habit in 12 weeks time.
The other medication which has been shown to be useful in the same context is T. Bupropion at 150 mg and at 300mg, depending on the patient.
All these steps are useful to help you in leaving the smoking but then your motivation is the most important.
There are nicogums available in the market but personally I didnot find them very effective.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Addiction Specialist