How to get rid of itchy scrotum?

Jul 2012

I've had this itchy scrotum for over 10 years; it would itch so much at night that it would be irritated and flake. I've seen a dermatologist and they gave me Clobetasol Propionate Cream and another one had me try Desonide Ointment. The Clobetasol (steroid) cream worked to stop the itching but only lasted about a week... so, constantly have to utilize this cream.

I don't even mind the discoloration of this area. I have a spot on each side of my scrotum that hasn't gone away... over time it seems to be getting a bit worse. Please tell me what I can do to "permanently" get rid of the itching...
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 22 minutes later
Hi there.
Might i suggest that cortisone creams are not the way forward in the long run. Yes they reduce the itch but increase the infection!
As you are using it , please continue to do so (clobetasol) cream but mix it 1:1 together with a 2% ketoconazole cream(eg Nizoral) & apply it for a further 3-5 days.
Then stop the clobetasol cream & continue with the ketoconazole cream for a further week.
In addition, you may be better off taking a once/week fluconazole 200mg tablet which may require a prescription from your Gp or dermatologist.
At the end of two weeks, please start up on a cream called South Beach lightening cream for sensitive regions & use it twice/daily for a month (thi slast one is purely to reduce the pigmentation in these parts)
I hope this will rid you of your problem once & for all.
Remember to treat all fomites, undergarments, towels etc in hot water & dry them well in the sun as often we treat the patients but forget this simple advice & the infection recurs!
Cheers & wish you continued good health & a clear skin.
Trust there are no queries & the advice is clear; If so, please do close the query & if free, do rate us! Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Bangalore, India.