How to get rid of itchy scalp and hair loss?

Hello, I have an itchy scalp in the centre area and probably because of heavy itching there has been a excecive peeling of skin with scars. I would like to inform u that I also have exzema and I think it is developed on my scalp. Also most importantly there has been very heavy loss of hair in that area. Can u please suggest what should I apply for itchy scalp which is now become scaly. I am also very concerned about my hair loss. Also can u advice me on usage of tugain for hair loss.
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 13 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern regarding itchy scalp and hair loss. The reason for hair loss could be various. It might be related to eczema of the scalp; other commonly associated condition being dandruff / seborrhea. As there is considerable overlap among the 2 condition, the diagnosis of the condition can be done only after physical examination by a dermatologist. Until then, you can take measures to remove the scales and keep the scalp moistened.
- Apply oil lavishly to the hair at least half an hour before shower.
- Use a good anti-dandruff shampoo. Nizoral and 8x shampoo has been widely used with proven results. You may try it twice/thrice a week for 3-6 weeks.
- You can use lukewarm water, instead of hot or cold water, on the scalp.
- Do not use any sort of hair gel.
- Use a soft brush to comb the hair.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Biotin supplements can help in keeping the hair strong.
- Consume plenty of root vegetables for added benefits.

The aforementioned measures have been helpful to many of my patients with similar complaints. I would suggest following these suggestions religiously as you plan to visit a dermatologist.

If excessive itching is there, you will need oral medications and/or ointments to be applied locally on the scalp.

Tugain has been useful in treating hair fall issue, but I would advise you to try under supervision if none of the above helps in reducing the hair fall.

Hope I have been able to answer your query. Let me know if you require any clarifications.