How to get rid of itchy red bumps on ring finger?

Hi I have itchy, red bumps on my wedding ring finger. I have been putting an anti fungal cream on it for about 2 week during the day and at night I let it dry out. I have also tried exema cream, diaper rash cream and neosporin. Nothing seems to make that much of a difference. Now it is cracking and my skin is flakey and peeling. It stated under my wedding ring and now it is moving around to my knuckle. It itches and hurts and I am tired of it. What could it be and what do I do about it? How can I stop this from happening again? Is it contagious?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Eczematous skin lesion Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin condition and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached pictures. You seem to have developed an eczematous skin lesion which is a contact eczema of the hands. You need to apply a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the area twice a day for atleast 7 to 10 days. In addition, you can take some oral antihistamine like benadryl for itching. Try to avoid the application of any other cream or lotion. Regular use of good moisturizers over hand and avoiding the use of harsh hand washes like dettol based ones will prevent its recurrence. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: How to get rid of itchy red bumps on ring finger? 1 hour later
So, it is NOT a fungus? Can you explain what you mean by "contact eczema of the hands? Is the topical steroid cream safe because I am nursing my infant daughter?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Contact eczema hands Detailed Answer: Hi again The skin lesion that you have points more towards an eczematous pathology. Although a fungal infection is the first thing that comes to ones mind but you have already been applying an antifungal for two weeks now. The lesion would have healed by now if it was fungal in nature. So the next possibility is that of a contact eczema of hands. This is basically an eczematous skin condition which leads to thickening of skin with cracks and redness over small areas on hands. This eczema occurs due to frequent contact of the hands with any such thing to which our body develop allergy. The common agents are detergents used for washing clothes and utensils or it can occur due to contact with things like onion, ginger or garlic or any kind of chemicals or oil. You can follow the treatment as advised. You can safely apply the topical steroid cream even when nursing. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: How to get rid of itchy red bumps on ring finger? 2 hours later
It gets very itchy and red when I am showering or doing dishes. Is that normal for eczema? Also when I apply the cortisone should I cover it with a bandage or leave it alone? Should I apply lots of the ointment at one time or just a thin layer?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Contact eczema hands Detailed Answer: Hi again These are the features of skin eczematous disease. The lesions tend to be extremely itchy in nature especially when the skin comes in contact with the allergy causing agent which you might need to try and find out yourself. You need to apply a thin layer of cortisone cream over the affected areas twice a day. You do not need to cover it. Just rub it a bit and leave it. Dr Geetika Paul