How to get rid of itching in pelvic area?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi, I went to a gynecologist last Friday to get examined and tested for a yeast infection. It turned out to not be that. I still have itching in my pelvic area. Could it be my laundry detergent? My doctor said to stop using fabric softener. A common cause of an allergic reaction. I'm just wondering how to get rid of this itching.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pre/menopausal hormonal changes might be the cause Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Fabric softeners and/or laundry detergent could be the cause to your vaginal itching. Next, you are mentioning to be 51 years old, in the pre/menopausal stage. At this period of the life, the hormonal balance is broken. Such hormonal imbalances is associated with itchiness of the vagina. Therefore, I also suggest to: - keep good genital hygiene - wash with warm water and hypoallergic soap. Avoid feminine ges/douche for some time until improvement - dry the genitalia well - apply Greek yogurt on your vagina and surroundings for whole night - try not to use hypoallergic condoms while having sex - avoid hard/dry sex - discuss with your gynecologist if you can use vaginal probiotics to optimize the vaginal flora - wear cotton panties only Hope it was of help! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!