How to get rid of headache and blocked nose?

I am 28, male, businessman from india.
I have a constant problem of nose block and subsequent head ache. This problem seems to be almost through out the year. Nose block generally occurs everyday when i wake up and i also feel a heavy head. At night, if sleeping under fan, i have developed a habit of sleeping with my forehead covered with a cloth . Kindly advise.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 47 minutes later

Recurrent nasal congestion and blockade could probably be due to allergic rhinitis or due to deviated nasal septum (DNS). A detailed physical examination of the nose along with X-rays can confirm the cause.

Recurrent blockade or DNS can lead to turbinate hypertrophy as well as sinusitis which can cause similar headaches.

I am sure with the help relevant X-rays your ENT surgeon will be able to get to the base of this problem and find the right plan for your treatment.

In the meanwhile I recommend steam inhalations with eucalyptus in it. This will soothen the nasal mucous membranes and reduces the congestion and blockade subsequently. Also do apply decongestant nasal drops like NASIVION nasal drops two drops of it into each nostril in night before sleeping. Taking a glass of milk in the night with a pinch of turmeric in it - this will reduce the blockade.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: How to get rid of headache and blocked nose? 43 minutes later
I am also experiencing an inside pain just below my left ear (behind the ear lobes)....It seems related to cold as well..What could be the reason..Are my nose blockages and this related..??
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the nasal congestion and blockade can sometimes cause Eustachian tube blockade which cause pain around the ear. Treating the nasal congestion will surely reduce the Eustachian tube congestion too.

Wish you good health.