How to get rid of habit of moving lower jaw side way when thinking and watching TV?

Nov 2013

Hi My Brother who is aged about 40 has developed this habit.We are seeing this from past few weeks.He keeps moving his lower jaw side way(left-right) when thinking something or watching TV or when in stress or tension.This happens unconsciously and he is not aware about it,other people who see tell him about it.Is this all OK ?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting you query. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing about your brother on Healthcare magic. First of all, I would like to reassure you that these jaw movements are not suggestive of any serious underlying neurological disease, and there is no need to worry about them. I agree these are not normal, however, may be related to underlying stress. These could also be a type of habitual movement disorder, done subconsciously. If you can upload a small video, it would be useful. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India