How to get rid of fluid in hip while suffering from osteoarthritis?

last sept 2012 my h hip started hurting real bad . had an mri and was told it was fluid on the hip I was not able to get it drained off then because my chemo did a number on my white blood cells the pain subsided but has never completely gone away I fell and broke my shoulder in feb 2013 and at that time had the orthopedist lok at my hip he didn't say anything about fluid on the hip just ostio arthris and gave me a cortisone shot which didn't do anything I have trird stretching it by crossing my leg which I hadn't been able to do but since the pain is still there what CAN I DO I DO NOT WANT AN OPERATION
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, get it investigated fully first. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about your history of breast cancer and this current hip pain. I hope we get to find out what the exact cause is and propose real solutions to help you with this. I understand you don't want any surgical intervention. That is your decision and I respect it fully. Surgery is just one of the possible treatment options for hip pain and only used when all other measures have failed or do not prove to help with this pain. Before getting there, I will suggest that we get thus pain fully investigated. There are so many possible causes of hip pain including arthritis, infection, bone degeneration, etc. Some require surgical interventions and others not. We must first of all identify the exact cause Please, meet and get this figured out by an orthopedic surgeon. Was the fluid ever aspirated and examined? It should be considered and also imaging studies should be repeated to map out the current state and tailor specific treatment options. If surgery should be the ultimate solution and you clearly don't want it, then other measures would be considered. At worse a pain free life can be guaranteed with adequate pain management with drugs and physical measures. This will greatly improve your quality of live while at the same time trying to limit further damage. This would be greatly beneficial to you. I hope this at least a motivation and encouragement for you to consider getting this condition investigated and addressed accordingly. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the very best of outcomes as you get this hip pain investigated and addressed. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.