How to get rid of fish scales on my legs when suffering from asthma??

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Dr., I went to the Dr. about my feet and legs..The Dr. said it`s called fish scales but never give me a reason why I had it on my legs and feet. I meet my husband 13 yrs. ago and I didn`t have it then but he did now I`ve got the scales on my feet and legs..Could you tell me how to get rid of it..I don`t live with him now because he has 2 dogs and 2 cats and I have asthma pretty bad so I moved out...Have a good day XXXXXXX XXXX( YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Need prescription medicines. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The fish scales that you have on your legs and feet could be due to Eczema psoriasis or ichthyosis vulgaris. This is mainly a genetic or autoimmune disorder. It can be controlled by keeping your skin well moisturized. Frequent baths in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes are important to keep the skin moisturized. The moisturizer that you must be using should be applied within 3 minutes of leaving the bath, so that a lot of the water would still remain on your body.The moisturizer traps the water onto the skin and allows it to be absorbed. Topical steroids are important in treatment, they are often prescribed to treat the flare ups but recent studies have shown the prolonged use can actually prevent the flare ups from occurring in the first place. After your doctor gives a corticosteroid to suppress the flare up, a steroid cream such as fluticasone can be applied daily for 4 weeks to prevent future flares After the 4 weeks, it can be applied (with the moisturizer) twice weekly in the areas normally affected for up to 4 months. You can get these prescribed from your dermatologist. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: How to get rid of fish scales on my legs when suffering from asthma?? 3 hours later
Dear Dr. Tayal, Thank you very much for giving me the answer about my feet and legs and the fish scales..I`m going to try the steroid cream to see if it works..I`ll let you know in a few weeks how they look.. XXXXXXX XXXX( YYYY@YYYY )
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. I hope the steroid cream will help you. Do keep me informed regarding the progress. Wish you good health. Regards