How to get rid of decdan and practin tablets without any side effects?

Hello, I am 31 years old and taking decdan and practin tablets since last 1 yrs. I was not aware of its side effects..but now want to stop it. Pl guide me how to get rid of it without any side effects. till date i am feeling healthy and facing weakness only if daily tablet dose is missed.
frequency of dose - daily 1-1 tab each at evening. also suggest medicine to recover from it.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later
Decdan contains dexamethasone which is a synthetic member of the glucocorticoid class of steroid drug and Practin contains cyproheptadine which is an appetite stimulant. Both the drugs have lot of adverse effects on human bodies and only be taken after prescription of a registered medical doctor.
Good things about both of them are they usually don’t produce much withdrawal effect on stoppage of the drug so usually no medication is needed to decrease craving of the drugs.
The way to stop using these drugs is motivation enhancement counselling or relapse prevention counselling. The medication is not stopped abruptly. Rather, the dose is reduced gradually over a period of weeks to months. But remember one thing that this addiction are often associated with depression and anxiety and if they present then they also be treated simultaneously.
So you need to consult a psychiatrist or de-addiction center.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.
Wish you good health.
Dr Sourav Ganguly