How to get rid of corn on toe?

May 2014

I am wondering the best way to get rid of the corn on my toe, the foot care nurse keeps reducing it but should she not be digging it out to get rid of it?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The primary objective of corn treatment is in removing the upper affected layers of skin. Digging is usually done when the corn has affected many deeper layers of tissue, sometimes extending up to the bone. Pain relief is one of the important reasons for corn treatment alongwith reduction of friction which will prevent the corn from appearing again. Other than reducing it, there are treatment methods by applying keratolytics (substances which dissolve the affected skin layers) and by injecting fillers like fluid silicone. Using a good footwear or protective padding also helps in the prevention of corn. If the above methods do not work, electrocautery or debridement may be used. If there is involvement of deeper layers of skin and bone, surgery is the treatment of choice. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek