Ask a Dentist   »  

How to get rid of bad breath? How to make teeth and gums strong?

hi Doctor i would like to know the following in regards to dental care: to get rid of bad breath? to make my teeth,gums strong?

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
I am sure you must have come across lots of advertisements, literature in google search when you felt like asking this question. But unless you understand the problem, there is no permanent cure to it.

There are several causes of bad breath and each would need to be ruled out to arrive at a permanent solution.
Most commonly, it occurs due to poor oral hygiene ( not brushing twice a day, no flossing and not rinsing the mouth after every meal)
It can also occur when we drink less water, due to some medications, gum infections, gastroesophageal reflux disease and smoking.
Similarly, teeth get strong with calcium and gums get strong with vitamin C. Rough brushing may damage even stronger gums and teeth. Not taking proper care of the teeth , may itself promote infections and may weaken the teeth.

So I recommend you to:
1. Maintain good oral cleaning by brushing, gargling, and drinking good water after each meal or snacks
2. Have plenty of vitamin C in your diet. Good sources include lemon, orange, mausambi and other citrus fruits. Also take lots of calcium. Good sources are milk, yoghurt, curd and beans.
3. Practice safe brushing with soft toothbrush and gentle cleaning each side of all teeth. Also floss your teeth every day.
4. Visit a dentist to get a local gum infection ruled out. This will help you avoid expensive and unnecessary procedures in the future.
I hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow ups.