How to get rid of acidity problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

I am having acidity problem mostly in night time and I am finishing one GELUSIL bottle in a week.
Moving out from acidity problem, please suggest and help me out.

Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Following suggestions would help you to moving out from acidity problem-

1. Eat your big meal at lunch instead of at dinnertime.

2. Eat at least two to three hours before lying down.

3. Avoid foods that are known to lead to heartburn, such as spicy foods, coffee, citrus fruit and juices. Especially if you eat any of these foods at dinnertime will increase your chances of having nighttime heartburn.

4. Eliminate late-night snacking.

5. Sleep with your head and shoulder on an incline.
You can elevate your head in a couple of ways. You can place bricks or blocks under the legs at the head of your bed. You can also use a wedge-shaped pillow to elevate your head.

6. Sleep on your left side.
Sleeping on the right side has been shown to worsen heartburn.

8. Stop smoking if you are smoker.

9. Avoid alcohol.
Alcohol increases the production of stomach acid.

10. Take an antacid when heartburn hits. You can take a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole. Since this is a prescription drug, you would need to see a physician for this.

If you continue to experience frequent acidity at night, get this evaluated by a physician. He or she will be able to diagnose whether you are suffering from just occasional heartburn, or something that needs medical attention, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, an ulcer, or a hiatal hernia.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.