How to get rid from cold even after taking cetirizine tablets?

I have been suffering from cold since a week and for the last 2 days, I had taken citrigen tablets and regularly chewing vicks/halls. Even after doing this, I have cold and when I take in breath, I feel a bad smell. Can you suggest what to do to get rid of cold.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Cold is a viral infection and usually stays for 5 - 10 days depending on the virus involved. It usually starts with a clear sputum and slowly the sputum thickens to eventually become greenish in colour. This is when the normal flora is coming back to normal and suggests the presence of normal bacteria in the sputum. This sputum may have some smell. It is totally normal to have the smell during the last days of cold. It should subside soon. You can take another cetirizine tablet tonight. If it does not get better, then you may consult an ear, nose and throat specialist to find the cause of smell. A small course of antibiotics like amoxicillin for 3 days may also help. But my opinion is that it will get better on its own. Regards. Dr Vaishalee